Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thanking the Man Who Fired Him

Labels: ,
As a Christian trying to study God's Word I have had very little difficulty with the majority of the Bible, but there was always one verse that made little sense to me. It was James 1:2, ”My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into diverse temptations.” How could one thank God for problems?

But I have learned (or rather been taught through experience) that the testings and temptations God brings into our lives are the opportunities He teaches us how to live and serve Him better. He also reveals more about Himself to us in each diverse situation. As we see Him work through our trials, we are more assured of His love and care. We learn more of His character. Our faith is strengthened, as we see God working on our behalf in ways only He could accomplish.

This reminds me of a story I read once about Wallace Johnson, builder of numerous Holiday Inn motels and convalescent hospitals. Mr. Johnson often testified by sharing this story.
"When I was forty years old, I worked in a sawmill. One morning the boss told me, "You're fired!"

Depressed and discouraged, I felt like the world had caved in on me. It was during the depression, and my wife and I greatly needed the small wages I had been earning. When I went home, I told my wife what had happened. She asked, "What are you going to do now?" I replied, "I'm going to mortgage our little home, and go into the building business."

My first venture was the construction of two small buildings. Within five years, I was a multi-millionaire! Today, if I could locate the man who fired me, I would sincerely thank him for what he did. At the time it happened, I didn't understand why I was fired. Later, I saw that it was God's unerring and wondrous plan to get me into the way of His choosing!"

Now, James 1:2 is part of my own personal arsenal to keep discouragement at bay and I pray you can use it as well. Because during times of trails and temptations, we should trust God and count it all joy. I pray that my response to trails is to trust Him and wait on Him to see how He will use these for my ultimate good and His eternal glory!
0 comments:

Post a Comment