Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

You Are Not Alone

Labels:
Have you ever found out that you were not alone when you thought you were? More times than I care to admit this has happended to me. A couple of times recently, I thought I was alone, but quickly found out that I was not! One morning, as I was walking through the auditorium to the office muttering to myself lost in thought, when suddenly, I heard a noise and looked up to see one of our men working in the church staring down at me from off a ladder. Boy, was I embarrassed and caught talking to myself (again)!

Genesis 32:1-2 "And Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him. And when Jacob saw them, he said, This is God's host: and he called the name of that place Mahanaim."
In Genesis 32:1, Jacob thought he was alone because he always had been. The name "Jacob" means supplanter (or trickster), so even the things God had promised to him-like the birthright-Jacob was used to scheming and conniving to get. The truth is that God is able to do even more than we can do by scheming and conniving. If Jacob would have let God take care of providing what He had already promised he would not be in this situation getting ready for a "showdown" with a long upset brother and what has been a ruined relationship with his brother. But now, Jacob is between a rock and a hard place. He could not scheme and had to be honest enough to realize that he was not alone. He meets God's messengers-a host of angels-and calls the name of that place Mahanaim.

I named my oldest son after a friend that I served with in the military that died in combat in Iraq.  My daughter is named after my wife's grandmother.  Names are important.  So here we find Jacob giving this place a very significant name. The name of the place in Genesis 32:2 means "double camp." That is interesting because Jacob was camped there, terrified of his impending meeting with his brother, Esau. Jacob no doubt had become a man of fervent prayer. But Jacob was not alone; God had a camp there. He knew he was in trouble and God had sent help precisely because he realized his need.

I know I have said this before but sadly so often we Christians give people a hard time by saying, "The only time you ask God for help is when you are in trouble." The truth is, we are always in trouble! Sometimes we are just smart enough to realize it and ask God for His help. God helps people like that-people who are in trouble and who realize they are not alone.

Christian, your "camp" is not the only camp today. God's hosts are around, too. If we knew or could see them, we would be encouraged. Although you might not see them like Jacob did, you can rest assured that you are not alone. There is a "double camp"- you and the hosts of God. And that is exactly what you and I need every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment