Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pastors and Politics

Labels: ,
Many people ask me about who I support in the current political races from national to local level. I gladly tell them. Many of the same people and others ask my views on certain ballot or societal issues. I gladly tell them. Though I strive to make certain points very clear...as a citizen and a parent I have very strong views on political and societal issues and as a Christian I have a responsibility to be ready to provide Biblical reasoning for my politics. Of course, many people would condemn me if I used my position as Pastor to 'preach the party's plank' so to speak. So I never endorse a candidate or a ballot proposal from the pulpit.

Please understand this is not out of fear of offending someone or being accused of abusing the liberal idea of 'separation of church and state.' I don't do these endorsements, because I have a fear of preaching politics when I should be preaching the 'mystery of the gospel of Jesus Christ' as Paul so aptly put it. If I faithfully preach the whole counsel of the Word of God then all the other things will fall in line. The true Christian should be the best citizen. The Lord's Steward is the best caretaker of His creation. [On a side note, this stewardship of nature is to be without an attitude of worship for the creation more than the Creator.] No, the Christian and especially the Pastor should be aware and involved in political things that could grant or limit the freedoms of worship & witnessing, but not so politically involved that we ignore the very action of worship & witnessing.

I read this article and felt it adequately covered my thoughts for the arguments of faith and politics. Written by Frank Pastore, a radio talk-show host in Los Angeles, who boldly mixes religion and politics and encourages Christians to do the same. I provided the link to the whole article but I especially liked his closing comments -
Some Christians may claim, “Christians shouldn’t argue about politics” simply because they’re political liberals who are unwilling to actually engage in argument over their political views. Instead, they would rather attempt to stifle debate by taking the pseudo moral high ground, saying something like, “Truly spiritual Christians are above politics.”

That’s too bad. Christians can and should argue, especially about theology and politics — and hopefully in that order. Read More

In case you were wondering, I post my political thoughts on my other blog where I also post my thoughts as a father, a football fan, and even show off my humorous side. I do this because I want this blog to maintain it's distinction as my pastoral blog.

God bless you my friends and I pray that the Lord finds you faithful in service to Him!
0 comments:

Post a Comment